Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tara Morelli dirtbag MOM







Tell my Mom 'I will never forgive her'
Girl, in statement, describes burglaries, living in filth; mother skeptical of letter



First published: Saturday, April 3, 2010

TROY -- A Rensselaer County courtroom on Friday heard a young girl disown her mother a confessed burglar for neglecting the child and forcing her into a life of crime.

"She has put me in harms way many times, making me squeeze through doggie doors and windows," a prosecutor read from the 12-year-old's victim impact statement. "Because of her, I know how to use a credit card to open locked doors."

Prosecutors said the girl was forced to help her mother, Tara Morelli, 31, and her boyfriend, Gregory Frank, 41, during daytime burglaries between September 2008 and January 2009 in various Rensselaer County towns.Both Morelli and Frank pleaded guilty to attempted burglary and criminal possession of stolen property, and were sentenced Friday before Judge Andrew Ceresia.

Assistant District Attorney Keith Muse read the statement from the girl, who was not present in court. Her name is being withheld because of her age and because she is considered a victim.

The girl explained that her mothers drug habits severely affected their relationship and led to the crimes."I would spend three to five days wearing the same clothes, I could not go to school and she did not keep me clean," the girl wrote.

While the statement was read, Morelli repeatedly shook her head in disagreement and at one point tried to interrupt.

"I now have a nice new home and I don't have lice anymore," the girls statement said. "Please tell the people I am sorry for what I did. Tell my mom that I will never forgive her. Telling the truth is one thing that I did not learn from my mother."

Morelli said the statement was coached by her daughters caretaker, and claimed the girl was never used in the crimes.

"The statement was not given by my daughter," Morelli said. "Something was done to her to come up with these lies."

Prosecutors said the girl cooperated in the investigation.

Morelli apologized for her crimes. "I am truly sorry for my daughter and not being the mother I could have been. Drugs took me away from her."

The child's words were read at Frank's sentencing as well, prompting him to complain that the statement had nothing to do with him.

"She did not mention my name in that once," Frank said. "It has nothing to do with me."

Morelli and Frank were each sentenced to 5 1/2 years in prison, five years' post-release supervision and ordered to pay $6,299 in restitution to the victims.

The couple were originally indicted with 23 offenses, including burglary, possession of stolen property and child endangerment.

Court documents say police found a stash of stolen property at the couple's Telford Road home in Hoosick. The records say they targeted homes during the day when the occupants were away at work.

No comments: